The Texas Wesleyan Law Review will host its Fifth Annual Energy Symposium in the Spring of 2013 (tentatively scheduled for the third week in March). Abstracts are due August 1, 2012.
The 2013 Energy Symposium will focus on a wide variety of energy-related issues exploring topics from the perspectives of the operator, royalty owner, surface owner, regulator, and municipality. In addition to scholarly articles, we encourage authors to submit papers for our second annual Oil and Gas Survey. Our Survey is aimed at legal practitioners and will review emerging legal issues among nine different states as an annual comparative law survey on oil and gas.
Interested authors and presenters should submit an abstract of approximately 500 words to texwesenergysymposium [at] gmail.com by August 1, 2012. Please submit a resume or curriculum vitae along with the abstract. Authors and presenters will be informed by September 15, 2012, of the outcome of the initial review process. Papers accepted for publication will be published in a special Symposium Issue or Survey Issue of the Texas Wesleyan Law Review.
Examples of emerging topics that we encourage authors, speakers, and panelists to submit include, but are not limited to:
- Mass Torts
- Royalty calculation and payment
- Operator duties (implied and express)
- The Oil and Gas Lease
- New or emerging shale regions
- Mineral and royalty conveyances
- Surface-use issues
- Natural gas marketing
- Subsurface trespass
- Oil and gas litigation strategies and challenges
- Ethical issues encountered in energy practice
- Leasing Trends
- Joint Operating Agreements and Master Service Agreements
- Urban development issues
- Railroad Commission Regulations
- Horizontal drilling challenges and developments
- Seismic and geophysical testing
- Legislative developments and trends
- Municipalities and regulation through local ordinances
- Clean technology in the Oil & Gas Industry
- Environmental developments
- Claims for damage, injury, or death arising from drilling rig or work-site accidents
- Pipeline construction, placement, and easement disputes
- Alternative & Renewable Energy Sources
The date for the 2013 Energy Symposium is tentatively scheduled for the third week in March and will be determined after the initial review process. For panel proposals, please submit the panel topic as well as possible panelists and a resume or curriculum vitae for each panelist. If you would like to serve as the panel moderator, please indicate this on your proposal.
Questions and requests for further information can be directed to Jessica McCurry, Symposia Editor of the Texas Wesleyan Law Review, at jessica.s.mccurry [at] gmail.com. Our faculty advisor is Professor Meg Penrose.
Please visit our website throughout the year to view new Symposium information.